Boating Safety and Rental Rules
- Daily rates are per kayak. Single Kayaks carry 1 person. Tandem Kayaks carry 2-3(2 adults 1 child<70lbs or 1 adult and 2 children)
- Rental includes kayak, life vest and paddles, land based kayak lesson, safety briefing
- All kayaks must be returned back to the rental location by or before 5:30 pm
- We cannot provide rental or livery services anytime unsafe conditions exist on the rivers, forests or roads.
- We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- If you need to cancel for any reason please contact us 24 hours in advance of your reservation and we will hold a credit on file for you until next year 10-1-23.
- Be aware of weather and traffic
- If by chance, thunderstorms arise, paddle to shore, and get out of your kayak,
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFD’s or life jackets) must be worn, ZIPPED UP, at ALL TIMES while in your kayak NO EXCEPTIONS!
- All Kids under age 13 must be in a tandem kayak and with an adult present and on the water with them at all times
- Anyone under the age of 18years old may not rent a kayak without an adult present and on the water with them at all times. If you are 13-18 years old and are athletic you may paddle in a single kayak with us on one of our GUIDED KAYAK TOURS
- PLEASE BRING A HAT, SUNSCREEN, BUG SPRAY, and PLENTY OF WATER WITH YOU
- Please carry your cell phone in a waterproof bag(we are not responsible for damage to your personal items).
- Do NOT PADDLE DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ILLINOIS RIVER
- Stay close to the shore(We have a 50 yard wide paddling lane between the buoys and the shore(this makes it much safer than riding your bike down the street (the view is better anyway). Do not cross the river in front of any boat!
- Swimming from kayaks is prohibited
- Capsizing of kayaks is not permitted
- Renters may NOT cross the river or paddle near the shipping lane.
- Alcohol / drugs is not permitted in any rented boats.
Kayak Rentals Regulations
- we have life jackets for all ages including infants(<30, toddlers(30-50lbs, youth(50-90lbs), adult(>90lbs
- Dogs are only allowed in kayak rentals at our Kayak Starved Rock Campground location only
- FOOTWEAR MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES! no flip flops
- For Kayak rentals Must be 13 years of age or older to operate a 1 person kayak and have previously taken kayak lessons
- Participants 13 – 17 using a 1 person kayak must have had previous kayaking experience in order to paddle a single kayak and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian 21 years of age or older in another kayak.
- Participants under the age of 18, must have a parent/guardian 18+ sign the liability waiver.
- There is a 275 lb. maximum weight limit for single kayaks, if over 225 you may paddle a tandem kayak solo(we can shift the seat to the middle) 550lb limit for double kayaks.
GUIDED KAYAK TOUR RULES FOR KIDS
- If you are 13 years old or older and are athletic you may paddle in a single kayak with us on one of our GUIDED KAYAK TOURS. An adult must sign a waiver.
Check the website below to see current conditions.
CLICK HERE TO SEE Illinois River Flow Graph
Payment for damages due to abuse or failure to obey the rules may include,
in addition to repair costs, compensation for lost rental income and staff time expenses.
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE OR THEFT OF PERSONAL BELONGINGS