A fishing kayak opens up abundant opportunities to up your game fishing. You can more easily access waters that wouldn’t by possible with larger or motorized boats. It combines the quietness of paddling low on the water with the excitement of reeling in a big catch. With so many options, you’ll have a lot of decisions to make when shopping for a fishing kayak. With a lower profile and better portability than traditional boats, you can be stealthy as you glide over waters to your favorite fishing spot and sneak up on fish without spooking them. Hobie kayaks has a wide variety of fishing kayaks to choose from.
- Decide if you want a sit-on-top, inflatable or traditional sit-in kayak. SOT kayaks are easiest to get in and out of while inflatables are great for those with limited storage.
- Determine if you want to paddle or pedal. You may like the exercise and simplicity of paddling, or want the benefits of pedaling with your feet so your hands are free for fishing.
- How much weight are you hauling? You’ll want to think about the fishing kayak’s capacity. Consider your own weight and the amount of gear you want to haul. Are you a minimalist or do you like having a lot at your disposal?
- Do you want to fish while standing? Stability is key here. Wider hulls tend to be more stable, allowing you to cast farther and with more confidence while standing; the tradeoff is potentially a slower boat.
- How do you plan to transport the fishing kayak? How easy is it to handle and lift the kayak? Can you carry it solo to where you want to fish? Can you transport it on top of your car or in your truck bed, or will you need a trailer?